To get started with the ketogenic diet, it is necessary to think in advance, as it is not advisable to stop carbohydrates. Creating a nutritional plan for the first few weeks makes sense to avoid food insecurity and minimize stress.
In the first 14 days there is a change of the body and a restriction of the carbohydrates adapted to their own well-being. The body and the psyche get used to the
change in diet and the new diet becomes part of everyday life. After this time, most of the state of ketosis is reached. The condition is not measurable in terms of well- being or symptoms. By measuring the ketosis, certainty about the state of ketosis can be obtained.
Also, by measuring the ketone body in the blood, the diet can be further optimized and adapted and averted possible ketoacidosis. Ketosticks that detect ketosis in the urine are helpful for this. These test strips are actually designed for diabetics but can be purchased over the counter in pharmacies.
However, these test strips do not provide accurate information on the state of ketosis and are therefore only suitable for the initial detection of the use of ketosis.
For athletes who are passionate about ketogenic nutrition or sick people, the electronic device Ketonix, which measures acetone in the breath, can be used. Thus, the progress of the ketosis can be measured. By regular blood measurements, the concentration of beta-hydroxybutyrates in the blood can be detected and thus also specify a very detailed status of ketosis. However, such an accurate measurement is not necessary when performing the ketogenic diet for the purpose of muscle building or weight loss, but is specifically directed to the needs of sick people.
– The ketosis
Ketosis is the desired state of the ketogenic diet. Ketosis burns a lot of fat without feeling hungry. As soon as carbohydrates are no longer available to the body over a longer period of time, the body’s own fat is burned and used to generate energy. At the same time ketone bodies are created in the liver for energy production.
These ketone bodies are the source of energy during ketosis instead of glucose.
These ketone bodies are made from the molecules acetoacetate, 3-hydroxybutyrate and acetone. As the carbohydrates are split from the pancreas using the hormone insulin, the production of insulin during ketosis becomes unnecessary or extremely limited. This results in a stable blood pressure. Humans are by nature “fat burners”, why the condition of ketosis, in which fat is burned, healthy. In particular, light ketosis, without the total renunciation of carbohydrates, is beneficial for the control and prevention of diseases.
In order to stay in the ketosis, it is important to avoid carbohydrates, so that the energy can continue to take place through the ketone body and excess fat can be broken down and can not be rebuilt. The intake of carbohydrates would cause energy production from ketone bodies to be interrupted and energy to be recovered from the carbohydrates.
This does not mean that carbohydrates should never be consumed again.
In the beginning, it is important to abstain completely from carbohydrates for 3-5 days in order to start the ketosis. However, depending on your age and physical condition, it can take up to 6 months for ketosis to set in. This should be checked with appropriate aids such as Ketosticks. Then you can consume up to 0.8 g of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight without ending the ketosis.
During ketosis, the foods mentioned below should be consumed. It is important to take 3-4 hours between meals to eat high-fat foods. In addition, the diet should provide daily 30-50 g of protein per day.
Tips to stay in stressful everyday life in the ketosis are well-prepared shopping lists, the mucking out of food that is not beneficial for the ketosis and prepared snacks such as meatballs, hard-boiled eggs, almonds.
If necessary, bratwurst, Kassler and Bifi are good to quench hunger in a ketogenic way. A glass of water with lemon juice and stevia helps against the cravings in between. In order to be well prepared at home even in stressful times, it is advisable to stock frozen products such as shrimps or vegetables.
It is fundamentally important that ketosis can only be realized for healthy people and under medical supervision.
Foods to consume in the ketogenic diet
– meat : Meat, as it contains little or no carbohydrates and a lot of proteins and fats. Red meats such as steaks and ham are great, as are chicken and turkey.
– dairy products : Dairy products may be included in large quantities in the nutrition plan. Above all, butter, cream and cheese are harmless usable foods. Yogurt should be as fat and unsweetened as possible, so that it complies with the principles of ketogenic nutrition.
– eggs : Eggs contain no carbohydrates and are very rich in protein. They are incredibly versatile, making them a perfect base food for the ketogenic diet.
– vegetable : Vegetables are a cornerstone of the ketogenic diet. Especially green vegetables, tomatoes and onions have a high nutrient content and a low carbohydrate content and are therefore indispensable. Avocados have a high-fat content and are therefore a great and widely used element in the kitchen of the ketogenic diet.
– fish : Fish, especially greasy species such as mackerel, tuna, salmon or trout. These species often contain a high proportion of the incredibly healthy omega-3 fatty acid, which is very important for the ketogenic diet.
– Nuts and seeds : Nuts and seeds contain natural proteins and fats, making them the ideal companion to the ketogenic diet. In addition to walnuts, chia seeds , almonds and pumpkin seeds are recommended without hesitation. Nuts and seeds are particularly suitable as a companion for baking, in smoothies or as a snack. On the positive side, they hardly contain carbohydrates.
– spices : Of course, spices should not be missing in the Ketogene kitchen. However, here are fresh spices to be preferred because, for example, the marinade of premarinated meat spices mixed with sugar.
– oils : Oils, as fats are a basis of ketogenic nutritional form. High quality oils such as virgin olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil
Foods to avoid
– cereals : Grains can get up to 70 percent carbs. Therefore, it is important to avoid the intake of small portions of rice, pasta or bread so as not to interrupt the ketosis.
– fruit : Fruit contains a high amount of fructose. Although this natural fructose is healthy in moderation, it causes ketosis to be broken.
– legumes : Legumes like lentils, beans or peas are high in carbohydrates, so it’s important to avoid them as well.
– potatoes : Potatoes and potato products such as dumplings, French fries, dumplings or the like contain a high percentage of carbohydrates.
– convenience foods : Ready meals usually contain in addition to flavor enhancers also a lot of sugar. These have no place in the ketogenic diet.
– Alcoholic drinks : Alcoholic beverages such as vodka or whiskey do not contain carbohydrates, but alcohol is a foreign substance for the body. When alcohol is consumed, it is first broken down and energy is lost. Since the general health benefit of alcohol is questionable, it is recommended during the phase of ketogenic diet to refrain from it.