A delicious Italian-American twist on an Eastern European classic recipe mainly consists cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef and rice simmered in tomato soup.
The stuffed cabbage rolls must be made ahead. Freeze, pull out a couple for dinner any time.
Works well in a slow cooker.
Preparation takes 20 minutes, cooking takes 40 minutes and the whole meal should be ready in an hour.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Original recipe makes 8 cabbage rolls
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened; drain.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, 1 cup cooked rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of tomato soup. Mix thoroughly.
4. Divide the beef mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves. Roll and secure them with toothpicks or string.
5. In a large skillet over medium heat, place the cabbage rolls and pour the remaining tomato soup over the top. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring and basting with the liquid often.